Thursday, November 17, 2005

I'm Safe, and Sorry to worry ya'll

God, I'm so sorry to freak ya'll out! Please don't worry, I'm fine and I'm safe.

Good suggestion on the embassy, I actually registered with the consulate as soon as I arrived, it’s recommended for all Canadians who are planning to be overseas for more than three months, plus it’s a requirement of the program I'm with. So the consulate knows where I am, has my email and cell number. And I know where to find the nearest full embassy as well, it’s in Nairobi. And I'm checking the Canadian and American travel advisories, but the only advisory at the moment is to stay out of Northern Uganda (and that has been the case for about 15 years!)

I don't think things are going to go pear-shaped here just yet, and if they do at some point the area where I am isn't likely to be a part of it at first. I'm in a small village an hour and a half away from any major towns (and thus the riots). As well, the armed group that Besigye may or may not be involved with (which may or may not actually exist!) is hanging out in the Congo and Sudan, if (and that's a big if!) a bush war were to actually break out it would start on the borders, giving me plenty of warning.

If need be I have enough credit on my visa to buy a plane ticket out, and enough hard currency to bribe a fisherman (Hell, stuff is so cheap here it’s probably enough to buy my own boat!) to take me over the lake (which is about 10 minutes from here) in a worst case scenario.

In any case, I think that it’s unlikely to be anything more than occasional riots until after the election. So, I will be careful about staying far away from political rallies and large crowds. And as a Muzungu, I am obviously not a voter, thus not someone to be influenced as far as voting goes. And neither side would want to be seen to be mistreating whites at this point, as both are hoping for the support and recognition of the international community, which tends to get pretty pissed when white folk are inconvenienced in the slightest!

So, to sum up, I don’t think that things are going to get very violent yet, I’m in a very safe area, and I know how to get out of the country quickly if need be.

2 Comments:

At 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, glad to hear it...but I still want you to come home!

I couldn't bribe the fishermen here to save my life. They make more money than I do.

Miss Ya. XOXOX

 
At 1:55 AM, Blogger Lobo said...

I want to come home too, I miss ya like crazy!

I couldn't bribe a fisherman on PEI either. If PEI ever has a civil war we'll have to offer them other favors, haha... well, it wouldn't work for me, but you're one sexy bitch!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home