Friday, January 20, 2006

Sarafina!

Last night I watched Sarafina! Go rent this movie immediately. It is a musical about apartheid, specifically the 1976 Soweto uprising and massacre. It is not a typical light 'n' fluffy musical, though I suppose you can tell that much from the subject matter. This movie is... intense. I knew vaguely that apartheid was bad, but I didn't really know that much about the forms it took. I was alternately horrified and inspired by this story of a young girl in the townships. That's all I'll say for now (don't want to ruin it for you) just go and rent it. Now.

Warning: Although I think you should see the movie, you should also know that it contains scenes of violence/torture that are disturbing for all viewers, and if you are white might make you want to tear off your own skin.

4 Comments:

At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unrelated to your Blog post, but...
It's Election Day here in Canadaville and I'm scared (hold me...please).

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Lobo said...

(holding you tightly)

Don't worry sweetie, it'll be ok, just pray for another minority.

 
At 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Update dammit, I haven't heard from you in days!

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Lobo said...

Sorry heather, internet here has been crap.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home