Saturday, September 24, 2005

Strange Birds and stuff.

Well, I've been here nearly 24 hours now. Its very strange. I take my meals in the cafeteria with the students, its kind of like being the new kid at school all over again, that nervous feeling trying to decide which table to sit at. The food is rather bland, which is too bad, I was hoping for spicy and exotic!

I encountered some small birds walking accross campus last night, they swooped at me and startled me. Between that and a beetle the size of my palm that was between me and the bathroom I'm not feeling quite so great about the african wildlife anymore.

I've spent most of the day in the office checking email and sending notes to everyone back home. I also visited the library and took out some books to start working. I'm going to be writing modules for the distance program in Good Governance.

My plan to quit smoking is not going so well. I'm feeling kind of lost and a bit lonely, and I cracked and bought smokes after lunch today. But I haven't smoked very many of them, so maybe I can at least cut back, and quit when I feel more at home here. Its going to be hard, the smokes and a coke cost only 3,000 shillings, which is about 2 dollars Canadian!

3 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you arrived safely!!

Don't worry about the smoking thing. What are African cigarettes like anyway, other than cheap?

I'll email you shortly.
Miss you soooo much!!!!!!

Heath xox

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Lobo said...

They're not bad, I'm smoking embassy lights, taste kind of like number 7 lights

 
At 4:28 AM, Blogger Lobo said...

Thanks, Nick, its is a very special place... Don't think I'll get to the pyramids they're kind of far from here, I am hoping to see the source of the nile though. Hoping to do east africa from victoria falls up to kenya. But of course, that will be after my internship is done, six months from now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home