Wednesday, December 14, 2005

I got my passport back!

Ok, so I was totally freaking out last night, because I talked to Robert (the guy who's been talking to immigration for me) and I thought he would have the passport yesterday, but they told him again to come back "tomorrow." So I insisted on going with him today, and it was so frustrating. First of all the woman who we were dealing with at immigration started yelling when we arrived, in Luganda, so I had no idea what was being said. The whole time we were there she and Robert would speak very fast in Luganda, while I stood there not understanding. Then I would have to ask what was going on, I mean, it is my passport, and they do speak English, so I think she did it to be deliberately rude.

Finally they told me again, come back tomorrow. I said no, I need the passport now, what can we do to speed it up? (This was me trying to give them an opening to ask for a bribe.) They kept saying no. Nothing can be done. Finally, exasperated I said that I needed it today because otherwise I would have to speak to my embassy about what was to be done, and I needed to give the embassy a few days notice to help me before I left. Then all of a sudden it was possible for me to have the passport! Thank god I went myself, because I am sure that Robert wouldn’t have argued with them, would just have been satisfied with endless tomorrows that never come!

So, my work visa is still not processed, but I have the passport, and nothing stands in the way of me being at home on Tuesday! (So let's meet for some drinks Tuesday evening - maybe Baba's? Or 42nd Street? Vote for your choice in the comments section!)

2 Comments:

At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We haven't been to 42d Street in awhile, althogh I enjoy Baba's, too (chicken wings?)... I'm easy ;-)

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Lobo said...

God, the closer it gets to coming home the more I miss you guys! Tho its now looking like it'll have to be a wednesday night do, as dad won't be picking me up till 8ish, so I won't be in Ch-town till midnight. I'm going to put up a new post for plans.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home