Wednesday, November 30, 2005

I ate a grasshopper!

Crunchy green tubes, about 1 inch long, looking a bit like green beans, until you look closely enough to see that they have eyes. I was walking back from tea with some friends and a guy went by selling bags of these. I had seen them being sold on the road before, and assumed they were green beans. Well, the guys I was walking with got quite excited and bought a couple of bags, and insisted I should try some. Grasshoppers are crunchy, a little bit gritty, and have a kind of toasted flavor. They aren’t bad, but not good enough for me to be able to get over the grossness of the fact that they are bugs.

8 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to try grasshopper!!

 
At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's an icky thought: eating buggies. Still, most insects -- including grasshoppers -- are a heck of alot cleaner than most of the meat we buy off grocery store shelves here in Canada.
Dig in!

 
At 1:40 AM, Blogger Lobo said...

hmmm, i'll seee if I can smuggle a bag of them back to canada. Appetizers for Will's party!

 
At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're DEFINATELY cleaner than monkeys :-)
Chee! Chee! Chee! Screeeee!

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Matty said...

hmmmm dipped in a lil' bit 'o chocolate those fellas might not taste so bad...

 
At 2:50 AM, Blogger Lobo said...

hehe... i must get some monkey pictures before i get home!

Yeah, chocolate would definately make them better, but thats not how they eat them here, just fried and crunchy!

Actually, I'll eat almost anything if its covered in chocolate!

 
At 2:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Lord, get your beautiful butt home soon...I need you!! I mean, I need to talk to you in person!
(Bugs not neccessary).
Call me. XOXOX

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Lobo said...

I miss you like crazy! I will be home two weeks from tuesday, so get ready for some serious party (jet lag permitting)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home