Wednesday, September 28, 2005

An international evening

Today was pretty good. We have two people visiting from the University of Groningen (that's in the Netherlands) to work on a project in the good government area and this evening we had a dinner for them in the guest house. It was a lot of fun, there were three Ugandans, an American, the two Dutch and myself. Quite an interesting group to discuss politics with. I learned a lot about the political situation in Uganda and in Africa generally, and we also discussed drug legalization, Katrina, how much Bush sucks, etc.

And the American woman is very nice, and she is living here for two years, so I think it would be good if we could hang out some. Tomorrow I am going on a walk around the area with her, one of her friends, and the two Dutch. SO that is something to look forward to.

4 Comments:

At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you've made some relatively non-creepy friends.

Sorry I didn't get around to emailing you those photos last night. I'll do it this evening.....

BTW - I think I've found you a husband......

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Lobo said...

Thanks babe, no problem on the photos, he's out of town now anyway, but alas he will be back! I hope to be on messanger tonight, i'm duying to know who he is, lol!

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Liam O'Brien said...

Hi Laura! I had to stop by and say hello.

Yeah I think Bush sucks too . . . but probably for different reasons....his trade protectionism on softwood lumber & Steel (& a host of African stuff), his inability to balance the budget etc...

But there are a couple of tiny bright lights...

As Live 8's Bob Geldoff pointed out, " [The French] refuse to accept, because of their political ideology, that he has actually done more than any American president for Africa. But it's empirically so,"

I think the sad part of all of this is how little all American (and Canadian and British) leaders have done in terms of policy compared to what they could do... especially when it comes to frightfully unfair trade rules.

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Lobo said...

Hi Liam, and thanks for dropping by, I've linked your blog.

Nick, Liam is a friend of mine from law school, a very nice, intelligent guy. And Liam is like, his name. His REAL name.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home