Thursday, March 02, 2006

Murchison Falls

Ok, so I'm finally getting around to putting up some of the Murchison pics. I would have done it sooner, but the internet has been horrid! (I miss chatting on MSN!)

So, we set out friday morning from Kampala, two vans filled with at least 6 nationalities, mostly women, for Murchison Falls. The vans were hot and the drive was long, but at least we weren't in a matatu. We all had a whole seat to ourselves, there were only 8 passengers plus a driver in each van! (A matatu which is of the same size often hold more than 20 people!)

We stopped for lunch in Masindi, and arrived in Murchison in the late afternoon. First up was a hike around the top of the falls. There are actually two falls, Murchison Falls, which is natural, and another (I can't remeber the name) which was created by blasting because Murchsison had a tendancy to flood.

Mrchison Falls



Manmade falls


The hike was hot and sweaty, but then we got to a viewpoint under the falls where we could feel the cool spray from the falls, and get a clear veiw over the permanent rainbow it creates.



And here am I, standing at the top of the falls.



After our hike we headed to camp for dinner and relaxtation. The next day started very early, the sun wasn't even up!

Here is the campsite at dawn



We went on an early morning game drive and raced around seeing lots of antelope, buffalo, hartbeasts, and two giraffes. Unfortunatly, my camera died, so I only got this buffalo picture



Luckily one of the women in my van had extra batteries, and my camera started working again, just in time for the highlight of the drive, we were tracking some lions, lost them in the bushes, but instead saw a leopard in a tree!



This was really special because leopards are one of the hardest of the cats to see, as they are very shy, and well hidden by their spots.

On our way back there were guys fishing on the Lake George.



Our guide stopped and bought fish



And we saw a hartbeast!



And another giraffe!





Stay tuned, to come are elephants, hippos, and chimps, oh my!

5 Comments:

At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool to see you with your hair grown out. I thought you might cut it before it grew. Very long braids..LOL
When are u coming back anyway????

T-Dawg

 
At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the picture of the big kitty cat in the tree.

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger Lobo said...

Thanks T-Dawg, I love it too, makes me think I should have patience and grow out my real hair. I'm coming back in late april or early may... may stop in St. John's to se my mom on the way.

I love the big kitty too, Will, big cats are so cute! I'll bring one back for you? (if only....)

 
At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG...May? Wow. That seems so far away. I will definitely be over in the summer. I need a trip big time! Hope u are able to get here too sometime. Miss you a lot.

 
At 2:21 AM, Blogger Lobo said...

Miss you too. You should definately come party with me when I get back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home