Sunday, October 02, 2005

For my Girls: Menstruation

First of all did you ever notice that the word menstruation looks like what a gossip column would call it if the new hot couple was "men" and "frustration"? Anyway...

One of my big worries before arriving in Africa was what kinds of products would be available to deal with my periods? Would they have tampons? Pads? Soft moss? So I considered bringing with me a six month supply of o.b., which would have been silly cause they do have them here. But the travel nurse suggested that I take a keeper instead.

Which was a wonderful suggestion! I had been thinking of getting one for years because of course I had read all about how the bleach in tampons causes cancer, and the keeper is so much more environmentally good, plus being a healthier option, but I never seemed to have a spare $50 when I thought of it, plus I was worried that I wouldn't like it, and its not exactly something you can return.

So, while in Halifax I picked up a Diva Cup. The diva Cup is the same idea as a keeper, its a little cup that you put inside to collect the blood, except it is silicone instead of rubber. Apparently the keeper is no longer available in Canada because of some trade rule dealing with rubber.

Anyway, I have been using it for the last several days, and it is awesome! Its easy to put in and take out, not quite as easy as a tampon, but still not a hassle. It looks kind of scary and big, but I can't feel it at all once its inside. And it turns out that they will give you a refund if you don't like it, so I really urge all girls to try this out. Yeah, its a bit of money (I think it was 40?) up front, but you'll never have to buy tampons (which is a lot of money if you add it up over the years) again. And you can leave it in much longer, and you're less likely to get Toxic Shock Syndrome.

Seriously girls, just try it!

2 Comments:

At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,
I'm back from C.B.
I'll email you my pics tomorrow when I feel human again. Nothing "suprising" to report.

Glad to hear about the Keeper.

Mwah.

 
At 2:48 AM, Blogger Lobo said...

heya,

I was going to post a version of this issue to the board as well, but my internet went down, arrrg!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home