Wednesday, April 12, 2006

First Glimpse of the Indian Ocean

I’m wandering through a fifteenth century Portuguese fort when I catch a glimpse of turquoise through a gun port. Then it hits me: I’m in Mombassa, and this is the Indian Ocean. And I haven’t seen the ocean in far, far too long. So I perch on a cannon and pear out at the most gorgeous tropical shoreline, with the scent of salt water tickling my senses. And realized what has been missing all these months: salt water. I had to take a moment, it was that good.

So, I’m in Mombassa after a mostly lovely train ride from Nairobi. The Lonely Planet was right about the waiters in starched white uniforms, but I’m still not sure how squatting over a hole on a moving train fits into “One of Africa’s great rail journeys” where passengers “are treated to the full colonial experience.” Still, it was a nice journey; I got lucky and didn’t have to share the cabin.

From here I am heading tomorrow to Watamu and the Gede Ruins, then up to Lamu. And that will likely be the end of my travels, I’m looking into booking a ticket home very soon. Cause I miss ya’ll muchly!

5 Comments:

At 1:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like a dream! Fantastic.

 
At 2:56 AM, Blogger Lobo said...

it is. amazing.

wether is here, wish ya were beautiful!

 
At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do yourself a favour, if you can, collect up a small jar of white sand. You'll want it later, even if just for comparison.

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Lobo said...

sounds kind of heavy in my backpack...

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger POTASH said...

Hey there just saw your blog.. actually came in from the link on my space. Gee ..isn't lamu soooo cool

 

Post a Comment

<< Home