Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The wonder of it all!

You know how as a child you live in daydreams, and expect an extraordinary life, but then life teaches you to accept less, to accept a boring 9-5 job, a life like every other, even, dare I say it, like your parent’s life? Well, it came to me in Kakamega Forest, the last stand of tropical rainforest in Kenya, that this is how I had been living, without intending it. And as I sat in my room in the canopy, with only the cries of night birds and insects as company, that this is what I had been doing, living an average life. But by a strange set of impulsive decisions I have escaped. And found myself climbing rickety ladders to the top of waterfalls in Sipi Falls, Uganda, and waking in the predawn hours to watch the most perfect sunrise of this forest. And I am learning the art of happiness, and I am determined not to loose this when I return to Canada.

Practical Junk: It’s been a lot of traveling from place to place, and some very long matatu rides. I left Kampala on Saturday and spent all day traveling to Sipi. The campsite there was occupied by a group of students from American Christian Colleges; let’s just say that they are having very, very different college experiences than I did! Still, they were friendly, and their occupancy of all the dorm beds led to me getting a good deal on a single cabin, always nice. Sunday morning they left, and I went on a hike with Karin, an Australian cardiologist who was staying at the same site. Though I didn’t know she was a cardiologist at the time, I was reassured after the fact that there had been someone with me who would have known what to do if my heart had given out on the crazy climb to the top of the falls. Still, it was worth it, the view from the top was amazing!

Spent the afternoon and evening recovering, then spent Monday traveling to Kakamega in Kenya. It was gorgeous, and I had it all to myself! Got there at dusk, then woke up early (before 5 am!) for a sunrise walk. Climbed another hills, went to a bat cave, and saw Blue and Columbus monkeys playing in the trees on the way back. Then stopped in Kakamega Town to by a SIM card (I now have a Kenyan phone number, and I can send text messages!) then another long travel day to arrive in Kitale. I am spending the night here, then tomorrow I will go walking in Saiwa Swamp, then head for Nakuru.

Miss ya’ll tons, but loving the travel.

3 Comments:

At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BBC reported today that there was a mass rape in Kenya; 15 school girls were raped while participating in a near-700 strong night march.

Be careful and keep checking in.

Love,
Jer

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Quilt Granny said...

Hi, its Auntie Velda. Just browsing around and found your blogsite. Love your posts and also really love your hair. Is it real? extensions?

Hope you're having a wonderful time. I won't say be careful because that's silly, you being a grown woman and all. See you when you get back.

 
At 3:19 AM, Blogger Lobo said...

umm... thanks for the info Jeremy... i think? Actually not tottally what I want to hear right now! I am of course being very careful. And not going out at night, I get enough attention (I've had over 20 marriage proposals in 4 days!) during the day.

Hi Velda, its great to hear from you! Thanks for the vote of confidence! Your blog is great, I'm putting up a link to it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home